top of page

In the post war years, the club continued to play at Shirehaugh. However, the conditions at the ground started to gradually get worse, and the team led by Bill Caird look at other options into where the club could play.

In 1948, the club applied for full membership of the Scottish Rugby Union, which was accepted in May of that year, with the club proposed by Melrose RFC and seconded by Stewart's Rugby Club to join. Musselburgh became the 56th full member of the Union as a result.

On the playing front, the club's most notable performances came on the Sevens Circuit, including winning the Murrayfield Sevens in 1949 in front of 10,000 spectators. 

It was during this time, unfortunately, that the club suffered it's first loss. John Stewart passed away two days after suffering a neck injury in a game in 1948 against Glasgow University. The club did it's best to support the family during this time, hosting a game against the Co-Optmisits on New Year's Day 1949.  

The conversations continued around the playing area for the club. Bill Caird and his team stepped up the search. To their luck, Inveresk Paper Mill were looking to sell the area of Stoneyhill and it's community centre due to the rising cost of running the building. Caird saw the opportunity to use the area as the new pitch, with the grass area in front of the centre being originally used to store railway sleepers, tanks during the War, and esprato grass used by the Paper Mill.

However, undaunted, the club entered a 20 year lease to use the pitch (1951-71), and access to the changing rooms in the Community Centre on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. The first match at Stoneyhill was against the Edinburgh District Union on the 11th September 1951. The club would continue to play at Shirehaugh up till 1963, when the new facilities at Pinkie Playing Fields would open up. The club still play games at Pinkie to this day, with Shirehaugh now used as a training ground for The Musselburgh Golf Club.

1955 would be remembered as the year that wealthy Glaswegian cinema businessman Sir A.B. King became President of the club. He would see this role until his death in 1973.

Also in 1955, the club played a floodlit fixture at Old Meadowbank Stadium against a West Wales XV, widely believed to be the first floodlit match in Scotland. This would inspire the club to later on install floodlights at Stoneyhill, one of the many attractive features of the ground at the time.

The 1960s proved to be a steady period in the club's history, normally finishing around mid table in the Unofficial Championship. This was still a time when international players still played for their club team, with teams such as Hawick and Edinburgh Accies showcasing several Scotland and British and Irish Lions. 

In 1970, after managing to scramble funds from the club had raised enough funds to build its own Clubhouse. The club had £5,000 in the bank, along with a loan of £5,000 from Scottish Rugby. Drybrough Brewery were also approached on the basis that they would be able to supply the club with beer, which was accepted with a £1,000 grant. Harry Williams, a member of the club at the time, drew up plans for the formation of the clubhouse and Dennis of Dalkeith were award the contract to build the Clubhouse. 

The Clubhouse was open in October 1970 and officially opened in February 1971 performed by R. Wilson Shaw, the President of the Scottish Rugby Union. The opening match with the Clubhouse was a narrow draw in the Club's 50th Anniversary match against Hawick.

bottom of page